Helpful Tips for Getting Your Children Excited about Heading Back to School!
August 27, 2012
Mothers across the country rejoice as the end of summer approaches and the kids get ready to head back to school. But while you might be chomping at the bit for your little darlings to get back to the classroom and out of your hair, chances are your kids aren’t that happy that their summer fun will be drawing to a close. So why not get them excited for the start of school with these fun back to school party ideas?
- Get the kids ready for those early morning wake ups with a back to school brunch bash. Gather all the neighborhood kids for an eight a.m. breakfast of muffins, fresh fruit, orange juice, and milk. Ask each mom to bring a breakfast dish to share and you’ll have your breakfast buffet ready with little effort on your part. Invite everyone to show up in their pjs, including the moms, and let them ease into the reality of no more sleeping in! Serve up your morning goodies on bright summer themed paper plates with plastic cups and silverware to make clean up easy. After all, while you want to get the kids excited about going back to school, you don’t want to make a lot of work for yourself!
- Host a back to school fashion show. Perhaps the best part of back to school is shopping for new clothes and little girls love to show off those new outfits! Invite your daughter’s friends to come over for a back to school fashion show where they can strut their stuff and show off their style! Set up a fashion runway with a red carpet runner, (or go with a pink runner to make it a little more girlie!) crank up the music, break out the camera and get ready for some serious diva magic as your little girl transforms into a top fashion model!
- If you’re new to the neighborhood, your child is starting a new school, or there are new neighbors, host a meet-and-greet treat time where the kids can get to know one another. Arrange to have the get together at a central location, like a local park, and bring simple treats like cupcakes, cookies, or brownies. Arrange a few fun games like a bean bag toss, potato sack races, or Red Rover to get the kids playing together and having fun. A simple get together in a neutral location will help break the ice and help any kids who are new to the area make friends before the first day of school. Having a friend on the bus always makes things easier!
- Get the kids involved in helping others and have fun at the same time by hosting a combination back to school bash and school supply collection. Invite all the neighborhood kids and their families over for a fun night of movies, games, and food, but ask that everyone bring basic school supplies, like crayons, glue sticks, pencils, notebooks, and erasers that can be donated to the school. Choose decorations in your school’s colors and make fun, school-themed loot bags for the kids with pencils, novelty erasers, and stickers. Serve grilled burgers and hot dogs, potato salad, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, and other traditional summer foods that are typical crowd pleasers. And for dessert, a large sheet cake wishing the kids well in the new school year will be a hit with everyone! You’ll also want to be sure to have plenty of soda, wine, and water available.
- Once the school bell has rung and the kids are tucked into the classrooms, host a Mom’s muffin morning with all your friends. Whether you want to meet up at the local coffee shop or just shuffle to the nearest house in your robes and slippers once the kids are loaded onto the bus, you can all raise your coffee glasses and congratulate one another on surviving the summer months with your sanity (mostly) intact!